Registrations are open for the fully virtual 2022 Choosing Wisely National Meeting. The event will be held on Tuesday 3 May 2022 with the theme Choosing Wisely for a sustainable health system.
Choosing Wisely Australia is an initiative of NPS MedicineWise in partnership with Australia's health professional colleges, societies and associations. It is part of a global campaign encouraging conversations about reducing unnecessary tests, treatments and procedures, and helping patients choose care that is supported by evidence and is truly necessary. The meeting is a forum to reflect on the some of the key challenges facing our health system and the role that consumers and health professionals can play within it to support sustainability.
NPS MedicineWise CEO Katherine Burchfield says she encourages people working in hospitals, general practice and other health services as well as policy makers and consumer advocates to join us online for the meeting.
“We will be discussing different aspects of a sustainable health system, from reducing low value care to environmental sustainability,” says Ms Burchfield.
“The Choosing Wisely Australia National Meeting will provide us with global and local perspectives on efforts to support a sustainable health system, including a keynote from Dr Wendy Levinson, Chair of Choosing Wisely Canada. It will also showcase local initiatives and solutions to reduce low value care.
“Registration includes exclusive access to the recordings and to the online networking opportunities,” she says.
The 2022 Choosing Wisely National Meeting program includes:
- Experienced journalist, broadcaster and facilitator Dr Caroline West as MC
- Keynote presentations from
- Dr Wendy Levinson – Choosing Wisely Canada. Future directions of Choosing Wisely
- Professor Anne Duggan- Australian Commission of Safety and Quality in Healthcare. Partnering with consumers to improve health systems.
- Dr Arnagretta Hunter – Australian National University. Choosing Wisely for environmental sustainability
- Professor Rachelle Buchbinder - Monash University and Cabrini Health. Reducing low value care for a sustainable health system
- Plenary sessions, panel discussions and lightning talks
- Networking opportunities.
Following the Choosing Wisely National Meeting, the National Medicines Symposium (NMS) 2022 will be held on 31 May 2022 with theme the ABC of health literacy.
Registrations are now open for both 2022 Choosing Wisely Australia National Meeting and NMS 2022. The cost is $100 for each event.
Media enquiries: [email protected]
Stewardship toolkit for clinical educators
The Health Resource Stewardship for Clinical educators contains educational material about the Choosing Wisely initiative for use in universities, hospitals and health professional colleges
5 questions to ask your doctor or other healthcare provider to make sure you end up with the right amount of care.