26 Oct 2015
On 9 September 2015, NPS MedicineWise and the Consumers Health Forum of Australia (CHF) jointly hosted the inaugural Choosing Wisely Australia Consumer Roundtable at NPS MedicineWise offices in Sydney.
NPS MedicineWise and the Consumers Health Forum of Australia (CHF) jointly hosted the Choosing Wisely Australia consumer roundtable.Thirty representatives of key consumer organisations attended the roundtable to begin to identify opportunities and challenges for consumer engagement with the Choosing Wisely Australia initiative.
Some key themes from the roundtable included:
- strong support from consumers and consumer organisations on the objectives of the campaign
- Choosing Wisely perceived as an effective mechanism for supporting health literacy and the health professional – patient partnership
- the opportunities Choosing Wisely has to support culture change by encouraging consumers to initiate conversations and become active participants in managing their health
- collaboration with consumers and consumer organisations being key to progressing the campaign and ensuring its long-term success
- recommendation of co-design of key messages and consumer resources
- the importance of integrating Choosing Wisely with existing initiatives for the long-term success of the campaign.
The findings from the roundtable will assist with our next steps for making sure consumers have a strong voice in the development of Choosing Wisely Australia.